Adobe reader is widely used Portable document format (PDF) viewer software, developed and maintained by Adobe Systems. Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format that preserves fonts, images, and layout of source documents created in a wide range of applications and platforms. Adobe PDF files are compact and can be shared, viewed, and printed by anyone with the Acrobat program or free Adobe Reader. Adobe reader is highly versatile and supports all types of PDF. It is supported on all platforms like Windows 2000/XP/NT, Mac, Linux, Solaris etc. It supports up to PDF version 1.6.
Some of its key features are:
1. It opens any PDF documents and allows filling up PDF forms too.
2. Tagged Adobe PDF allows text to be reflowed for displaying on mobile platforms, such as Palm OS, Symbian, and other pocket devices.
3. The extended language support allows viewing PDF in Central and eastern European, Cyrillic and Asian languages.
4. It allows commenting on documents, annotations, adding digital signatures if allowed by creator.
5. Automatic scroll, auto save option and read aloud are the other popular features of adobe reader.
6. Web-based document reviewing is possible.
7. Security options are present to put restrictions on printing, commenting, signing etc.
- Free of cost
- Free of malware and spyware
- Security is ensured
- Actively maintained and extended language support
- Java scripts are supported
- Takes some time to launch and is slow to use
- Browser hangs up sometimes while online PDF viewing